"tiong-ng" (middle)

Discussions on the Hokkien (Minnan) language.
hong

Re: "tiong-ng" (middle)

Post by hong »

I not going to accept that because every china's dict only accepted aodaliya .No dict from china will accepted australia as au zhou.I think zone is a term for us to contrast with continent.In chinese is dalu to zhou.we can say only aodaliyadalu if we are talking about their land.
Niuc

Post by Niuc »

Hi Hong :)

Just in case you don't know, in PRC Advanced Chinese Dictionary 高级汉语大词典 we can find this entry: 澳洲 [Australia] “澳大利亚洲”的简称,一般指澳大利亚大陆及其附近的塔斯马尼亚等岛屿,是世界最小的洲,现通常把它和新西兰以及太平洋岛屿合称为大洋洲. ["ao4zhou1": abbreviation of "ao4da4li4ya4zhou1", usually refers to Australia mainland and neighboring Tasmania & other islands, the world's smallest continent, now usually grouped with New Zealand and Pacific islands under the name Oceania.]

You are right that now there is a "new" term i.e. 大洋洲. Yet 澳洲 is also a valid term. 大洋洲 is Oceania (not a continent), yet one of the meanings of 洲 is continent (can refer to the dictionary above). 澳大利亚大陆 means Australia mainland, excluding Tasmania and other islands.

[Chinese characters above are in GB encoding]

[%sig%]
hong

Post by hong »

http://gb.chinabroadcast.cn/1321/2004/0 ... 281286.htm there are other interview by Prof.chiu.Please see my latest links.
The dict already said the word auzhou is old term.So we should just follow China . Taiwan(maybe HongKong too) also changing their word to audaliya.We shouldn't use this old and confused term anymore.I am sure in the future we will have the same words for each country in chinese hanzi.
hong

Post by hong »

sorry above link counld't work.Just go to my link and find it about singapore minnan by chiu.I think both us are not wrong.zhou are used as two meanings-da lu and 7 zone.There must be a reason for china to use audaliya only.We cannot find anyone say zhongguozhou for their land.sulianzhou for russian.If they just put zhou as 7 zone in earth and use dalu for a lot of big countries,it will be okay.
hong

Post by hong »

niu,
Do you use liah for place ?I thought my grandmother was wrong when she said liah for place until saw dict did mention it
hong

Post by hong »

I must say the most important thing for Prof Chiu now is to edit the new dict discovered in Chiangchiu six months ago.The dict gives more sound for some zi.Maybe that contonese zi is explained in here.
niucls

Post by niucls »

Hi Hong

What is the tone of 'liah' (place), 4 or 8? Do you know the character? How do you use it in a sentence?

[%sig%]
hong

Post by hong »

Dear niu,
Go to the above online dict type liah7 跡(ji).cit liah means here,see also many examples in here and some small dictionary from taiwan.
niucls

Post by niucls »

Hi Hong

跡 liah4/jiah4 (liah7 -> different tone numbering system?)

Yeah, the dictionary http://iug.csie.dahan.edu.tw/iug/Ungian ... Taihoa.asp has 這跡 cit4 lia4 (here) and 彼跡 hit4 lia4 (there). I can imagine how these terms are used in sentences but I am not sure if I have heard people using them. It's indeed a unique way to say here and there and sounds original. Thanks for this info :)

[%sig%]
Sim

Post by Sim »

Hi,

Another "ng-" which I just remembered was "ngO1 hiong3 hun2" (literally, "five fragrance powder"; I think the official English term is "five spice powder").

Cheers,
Sim.

[%sig%]