"Lost" terms in 南洋 Hokkien

Discussions on the Hokkien (Minnan) language.
AndrewAndrew

Re: "Lost" terms in 南洋 Hokkien

Postby AndrewAndrew » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:42 am

SimL wrote:When I was young in Penang, I remember people very occasionally saying (things like) 陳先生 tân sīn-sÊⁿ. I don't remember hearing anyone ever saying (things like) 李太太 lí thài-thăi. But even then, the most normal term was indeed "Mr. Tan" (and "Mrs. Lee", of course).

This is my recollection also.

SimL

Postby SimL » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:21 am

PS. In the non-Penang Hokkien context (among my non-Baba maternal relatives), I remember "tan siEn-siN" and "tan siEn-siN-niu" for Mr. Tan and Mrs. Tan respectively. There both were used often and with equal frequency to one another.

amhoanna

Postby amhoanna » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:47 am

So much discussion these days. I'm sure I'll hit some and miss some.

Yeah, Chinese cops are still kong'an. And most of them are useless. I wouldn't even ask a kong'an for directions. For sure there are exceptions, though. I wonder if maybe Vietnamese cops are kong'an too. I could've sworn I've been seeing "cong an" out the corner of my eye the past few days.

Thaithai and siansinn are everyday Taiwanese. It is just THE way to address people in at least somewhat formal situations. This cuts across Taiwanese, Mandarin and maybe Hakka. I rarely hear sinsenn, although it's common way down "ekang" (in the south). This seems to be one of the rare cases where Mainstream Taiwanese has gone with the Amoy Taiwanese form instead of the Ciangciu Takkau (Kohiong) form.

I toured Hainam in '03 with a busload of Northern Chinese. The Teochew tour guide advised to never call anybody xiaojie b/c in Hainam that means HOOKER. Instead, she said to use xiaomei. Earlier this yr I was in Canton and Chonglam for nigh on two months and never heard anyone call anyone xiaojie or siocia (Hoklo)... But I think siuce (Canto) may've been used... It is still very common in Taiwan. Often, it fails to get the attention of the siocia or xiaojie being addressed. In that case, people use "mei-nyu" instead. This always seems to do the trick.

Return to “Hokkien (Minnan) language”